Monday, August 27, 2018

Welcome to Third Grade!

Dear Parents,

    Aloha and welcome to Third Grade! I am your child’s teacher, Catherine Miroballi.  This is my second year at Windsor Creek, and I am happy to be back! Over the course of my career, I have taught Kindergarten, First, Second/Third Combination class, and am currently teaching Third grade. I have a son who is starting Third Grade and my daughter is starting Kindergarten-both at Hidden Valley Elementary in Santa Rosa.  I am looking forward to working with you and your children this year!!



Contact information:  You can reach me at Windsor Creek Elementary School: 707-837-7757, ext. 3129.  The best way to reach me is at my email address: cmiroballi@wusd.org. I am faster at email than phone messages so this really is the best way to reach me. Because I have two younger children and a husband at home, I do not check my email between 4-9 p.m.  If you have something quick to tell me in the morning, you can jot a note and send it with your child and I will get back to you. It is most difficult for me to talk to parents in the morning when the bell rings.  If you would like to make an appointment with me to meet with your child, I am happy to set up a time to meet with you.

I also use the Remind app, to remind parents via text about important events like picture day, field trips, etc. Go to http://www.remind.com to be added to our class text group.  The class code is miroba. You can also text @miroba to the number 81010 to be added. I will only be texting you- other parents cannot text you. Thank you!

Recess Snack:  We have a long stretch between Recess and Lunch, where we do our most critical learning of the day.  Please make sure your child brings a healthy snack with them to eat at recess, so they can last until lunchtime! Additionally, I do not allow Hot Cheetos or Takies Chips in the classroom.  They are messy, distracting and not healthy. Please have your children leave them at home to eat after school.

Backpacks: Please be sure your child brings a backpack to school each day.  It is important that students bring their homework folders back and forth every day, and they can bring home important notes from the teacher or the school.

Water Bottles:  In an effort to be “green”, please have your child bring a reusable water bottle to school instead of a plastic bottle.  If you need help getting one for your child, I can arrange to get one for you. This will not only help out our planet, but there will be no mix-ups or people drinking from other people’s bottles. No sports drinks or juice; water only. Thank you!

Homework: Studies show that the best use of students' time in the evenings and after school is to read for 20-30 minutes.  Therefore, I only require your child to read nightly and fill in their book log weekly.  I also highly encourage students to practice their math facts nightly! Addition, Subtraction, and Multiplication cards can be found at the dollar store or Walmart. Please let me know if you need help getting flash cards. Flashcards need to be practiced daily to strengthen student's math fluency.

Weekly book logs:  Book logs are signed daily and returned WEEKLY!!!! Book logs will go home on Mondays and will be returned back to school the following Monday. Your child needs to read for 30 minutes a day, EVERYDAY, INCLUDING WEEKENDS, to maintain their current reading levels and comprehension! I will be checking book logs every Monday and signing them.  Please make sure your child is reading and signing their book log.  

Wednesday Folders:  Every Wednesday, students will take home Wednesday folders.  The folders will consist of flyers, corrected work, and other important information.  Please make sure you read through the Wednesday folder and empty it before your child returns it back to school on Thursday (the next day).  We will start the Wednesday folders next week, on Wednesday, August 22nd.

Birthdays:  Due to food allergies and dietary restrictions, we do not allow food items for birthday celebrations.  If you would like to send a non-food item to share with the students, we have 24 students in the class.  Goodie bags, pencils, stickers or a class book will be enjoyed by all! Thank you for your understanding!

Headphones:  Students will need to use headphones every day throughout the school year.  The school does provide shared headphones, however if you would prefer your child has their own headphones, please have your child bring headphones to school in a Ziploc back with their name on it.  Headphones will be stored in the classroom, in the ziplock bag during the school year. Headphones must go over the ear, no ear buds please.

Scholastic Book Orders:  See Saw, Lucky and Arrow are due the 21st of each month.  Orders can be placed online or you can fill out a form and return it to school.  The book order website is www.scholastic.com. Our classroom ordering code is GTBTN. Please use this code to ensure that our classroom receives online ordering points towards free books.

Reminders for you this week:
1.  Mark your calendars for Back to School night on Thursday, August 30th!!! 5:30 in the MPR, 6:00-7:00 in the classrooms.
2. Sign book logs each night and return the first one on Monday, Aug. 27th.
3. Complete the attached "All About Me" poster and return it by Monday, August 27th.
4. Complete the "Lunch Bag Archaeology" bag and bring that back in by Monday, August 27th.
Thank you in advance for a successful and fun school year!!

Mahalo!
Catherine Miroballi
Windsor Creek Elementary- Go Wolf Cubs!

No comments:

Post a Comment